Spring Craft: Easter Egg Lanterns
Spring is the perfect time to create a fun craft with the whole family! The kids can join in, and they are the perfect props for all the cute Easter photos you will take. We’ve put together a step-by-step guide and a video to help you create our Spring Easter Egg Lanterns!
You will need:
- Battery operated candles
- Water balloons
- Petroleum jelly
- Cornstarch (approx ¼ cup)
- Water (approx ¼ cup)
Now that you have all the supplies, follow these instructions to get started:
- Stretch water balloons to help loosen them up. Place the candle inside the balloon and blow them up to a size you like.
- Coat the balloon in petroleum jelly. A light coat will do, this is to help prevent the yarn sticking to the balloon.
- Hang the balloon. You will want to have a trash bag or drop cloth underneath the balloons because the glue tends to drip.
- Mix the glue and cornstarch together. Your mixture should be dense, but not lumpy. Stir until glue runs smooth. Use water to reduce lumps as needed.
- Dip yarn in glue. It is important to completely immerse the yarn. Pinch the yarn between your fingers and run it through them to remove the excess glue.
- Wrap the balloon in the glue covered yarn. Go slow with this because if you move too fast the yarn slides and lumps together. Also, leave enough space so you can reach in and turn on/off the candles when the craft is completed.
- Continue the process by repeating step 5 and 6. It was easier to try and do one continuous strand of yarn, but if that is difficult you could also cut the yarn into smaller strands prior to dipping them in the glue.
- When you’ve wrapped your balloons, allow them to air dry for at least 24 hours.
- When the balloons are dry, pop the balloons. The yarn will have created a cage for the light inside.
- Remove the balloon pieces.
- Turn on the lights and enjoy the glow!
After you’ve completed all these steps, you have an awesome craft the whole family can enjoy! Check out the video below to see exactly how we created the Easter Egg Lanterns, and backup your favorite Spring memories using Picture Keeper Connect.
Looking for other crafts? Check out our DIY Project Ideas.